Mondays, am I right?
It should come as absolutely no surprise that Mondays hit you in your face like a ton of bricks–over and over and over again. And it also should come to no surprise that many of the things you have to do also have to be done on Mondays. So, what do you do? Do you wallow until you absolutely have to do it, or do you just get your shit together and get it done? Many times, we’d rather just not do it, so what ends up happening is that you wallow until you absolutely have to do it.
Well, you know that it doesn’t have to be that way, right?
Here’s how I see it: instead of portraying Monday as the enemy, why not just portray it as the beginning? I mean, it’s the beginning of the school/work week for many people and many, many diets and resolutions are started on a Monday, so why not?
Here are a few ways you can re-vamp your Monday to transform it from drab to fab:
- Get into a routine of rewarding yourself as soon as you wake up: this could be a trip to Starbucks, or to the cabinet to get instant coffee to make yourself a cappuccino. It could be sitting down to watch a YouTube video from your favorite vlogger. Reward yourself when you wake up and it sets the tone for how the rest of your Monday will turn out.
- Put on some relaxing music: It could even be your favorite music. It doesn’t matter what kind, truly. Personally, relaxing/classic holiday music is perfect for setting my day up to be relaxing. If I have a relaxed atmosphere, I’m more likely to be relaxed and open-minded. If, on some rare occasion, I have upbeat music on, be prepared for me to smash my way through every task I have to achieve. Set the tone for your day.
- Make a routine for Mondays to counteract any negative feelings for the day: Do this so that it doesn’t matter how you’re feeling, you’ve got a way to get through it.
- Realize that you just have to get it done, so do it joyfully: I mean, you may as well get your brain into the “I can do this” mindset and see yourself through on it.
I mean, if we’re honest, Mondays sometimes aren’t great. Even when you try your damnedest to save a Monday, sometimes the day just goes to crap. On those days, there are things you should remember:
- You are important and no matter the circumstances, everything will sort itself out.
- It’s OK to have a bad day every once in a while.
- If you need a break, take a break. Nothing is worth risking your mental health over.
- Don’t force yourself into productivity if it physically hurts you to try and work.
- If you’re tired, sleep. You don’t realize how tired you are until you allow yourself the time to feel it.
- It is so important to experience your feelings and allow yourself the time to have them.
- Stay hydrated, love yourself wholely, and remember that you are worth something.
- Treat yourself kindly.
Overall, don’t let a Monday get in the way of you getting done what you need to get done. Again, get yourself into a routine and mindset that you will get everything you need to get done, done.
Also, if you’re having a Manic Monday, you should watch the video for the song “Manic Monday” by The Bangles. It’s such a classic. 🙂